School holidays are the perfect opportunity for the whole family to have some quality time together and create happy memories. But before you take off, have you thought about taking extra measures to keep your home secure?
In terms of insurance, there are many more risks your property can face when your home is temporarily unoccupied.
See that your happy memories remain and your home is just as you left it when you return.
Below we have put together a home safety tool kit with some simple tips you can follow to ensure you’re not left with a big bill on return from your trip.
- Check all taps throughout the house for leaks including laundry hoses.
- Clear all gutters.
- Check that trees and overhanging branches surrounding your property are safe and take any necessary preventative measures.
- Mow any lawns and tidy your front yard if you have one.
- Store your valuables in a safety deposit box.
- Shut, lock and bolt all external doors and windows.
- Check locks on the garage door, side gates and storage sheds.
- Use an electronic timer for lamps or lights visible from the front of the house, so it looks like someone is at home. Sensor activated lighting can be a great preventative measure at the front of the house.
- Have a vehicle parked in the driveway and ensure that the vehicle is locked.
- Inform trusted neighbours that you will be away and request them to collect your mail and put out your rubbish bins if possible.
- If you have a burglar alarm system installed, make sure you turn it on before you leave and ensure that it has a backup in place in case of any malfunctions such as a power outage or tripping.
- Prepare a list of emergency contacts to take with you on your trip including your insurance broker.
- Make sure all insurance payments and paperwork is up-to-date.
Contact your insurance broker for more safety and security information.
Be aware that insurance policies vary, so please check your policy conditions for unoccupancy periods. If you are unsure about what your policy covers, please contact us before you leave on 1300 424 627, and we will be happy to clarify for you.
This insight article is not intended to be personal advice and you should not rely on it as a substitute for any form of personal advice. Please contact Whitbread Associates Pty Ltd ABN 69 005 490 228 Licence Number: 229092 trading as Whitbread Insurance Brokers for further information or refer to our website.