Do you need a Certificate of Currency? We answer your top 7 questions!

As insurance brokers we deal with Certificate of Currency requests on a daily basis for a whole range of insurance policies whether it be Strata, Landlord or Business Insurance.

However, when it comes to Strata properties, we have often found that confusion surrounds Certificates of Currency, particularly when people need to request one for a property they are about to purchase.

Lia de Sousa, General Manager | Strata, answers the top 7 questions we receive on Certificates of Currency.

What is a Certificate of Currency?

In the context of a Strata Insurance policy, a Certificate of Currency is a document which confirms that the insurance policy for the property is current and valid for the date on which the certificate is issued.

Who can I obtain a Certificate of Currency from?

You can request a certificate from your insurer directly, or your insurance broker can arrange this for you on your behalf.

Why do I need a Certificate of Currency for a Strata property?

There are a number of reasons why you may need a Certificate of Currency, but it is generally because an individual or a company has requested it in order to obtain proof that the property is insured.

Circumstances where you may need to request a Certificate of Currency are as follows:

  • The Mortgagee has requested it e.g. your bank/finance company when you are buying a unit
  • If you own a unit, you may want to keep one handy for your records
  • When you are applying for other insurance policies
  • Before selling your property you may have to provide a certificate

What is the difference between a generic and a noted Certificate of Currency?

There are two types of Certificates that may be required: a noted Certificate of Currency or a generic Certificate of Currency. What you need will depend on your circumstances, and what you have been asked to obtain:


Please note: Issuing a noted Certificate of Currency will incur a nominal cost.


Why does my bank, solicitor or conveyancer need one when I buy a property?

When you are purchasing a unit in a Strata property and applying for finance, your financial institution is in essence the ‘interested party’ for the unit, as they are investing their money in the property. The Certificate of Currency is required as part of the settlement process, to ensure that the unit is part of a property which is protected from a loss normally covered by insurance, such as Fire.

Note: A financial institution will usually request a noted Certificate of Currency listing them as the Mortgagee or Interested Party.

Why do I need to pay a fee for a noted Certificate of Currency?

When it comes to requesting a noted Certificate of Currency, insurers and brokers may charge a nominal fee for noting unit details in the certificate, which has to be produced manually. A noted Certificate of Currency will contain details specific to your situation and the unit that you are purchasing. The fee covers the costs associated with preparing the certificate to include the unique details required for your particular situation.

How quickly can I obtain a Certificate of Currency?

We recommend that you request a Certificate of Currency from our office as soon as you become aware it is required. Different insurance companies have different requirements, therefore leaving this important piece of documentation to the last minute is not recommended, as it could delay your settlement.

If you would like further information on requesting a Certificate of Currency for your Strata property unit, please contact Whitbread Insurance Brokers:

P | 1300 424 627
E |

Whitbread Contact Us
This insight article is not intended to be personal advice and you should not rely on it as a substitute for any form of personal advice. Please contact Whitbread Associates Pty Ltd ABN 69 005 490 228 Licence Number: 229092 trading as Whitbread Insurance Brokers for further information or refer to our website.

the whitbread channel

Navigating the Australian Strata Insurance Landscape
Underinsurance: Something you should always avoid when insuring your property.
How to help prepare your business for an El Nino summer

We'd love to hear from you.

Need to get in touch with the team? Please fill out the form and our team will get in touch shortly.