Marine Transit

Your business will need a Marine Transit insurance policy if you are required under a consignment note to insure goods sold or purchased.

With businesses becoming increasingly dependent on global trade, Marine Transit insurance will provide you with peace of mind, knowing your business is protected against the loss or damage of the goods you transport.

A Marine Transit insurance policy will protect your business against loss or damage to goods being:

  • Imported and/or exported
  • Transported within Australia

There are a variety of Marine Transit policies which we can specifically tailor according to your business requirements. These include:

  • Single Transit
  • Annual Marine Cargo
  • Goods in Transit
  • Specified Items in Transit
  • Carriers Cargo Liability
  • Carriers Goods in Transit
  • Marine Liability

We will partner with you to share our expertise and provide an insurance solution that gives greater certainty to your future, giving you the confidence to grow.

Please Note: Below are some of the more common insurance policy features, however, the list is not exhaustive and some features may not be offered by certain insurers. Please refer to the insurer-specific policy wording for inclusions, exclusions, terms and conditions.

Covered Features


Provides cover for loss or damage to insured goods being imported from ports and/or places anywhere in the world, to ports and/or places within Australia.



Provides cover for loss or damage to insured goods being exported from ports and/or places within Australia, to ports and/or places anywhere in the world.


Travellers Goods and Samples

Provides cover for loss or damage to employee personal effects and product samples whilst in transit anywhere in the world.



Provides cover for both business goods and personal household goods whilst being relocated from one premises to another, either within Australia or to select destinations overseas.

Local Transit

Provides cover for loss or damage to insured goods being transported from ports and/or places within Australia to ports and/or places with Australia.


Cross Voyages

Provides cover for loss or damage to insured goods being transported from ports and/or places anywhere in the world outside of Australia to ports and/or places anywhere in the world outside of Australia.


Andrew Saville

Marine Transit


The term ‘Marine Transit’ is used for many different types of shipping / transport methods, for example by ‘Air, Sea, Road and Post’. Goods sent by any of the described methods can be insured against accidental loss or damage.

There are many other types of cover available other than just insured damage. For example, a cargo ship on the high seas might experience severe weather conditions, and the captain might choose to offload a few containers at random in order to keep the ship stable.

Generally all freight companies will exclude all responsibility of goods in their possession whilst being transported. A removalist may offer cover for your personal effects, however the cover is generally limited to ‘Fire, Collision & Overturning’ but excludes a number of things such as ‘Accidental Loss or Damage, Theft etc.’

Insurers offer both Single and Annual Transit policies. The premium is calculated based on the description of goods being transported, the estimated turnover of all sendings, and the limit of any one conveyance.

While most countries and territories worldwide are covered for Imports & Exports, each insurer does have listed within their policy, specific Excluded Countries and Territories. It is important that you discuss these with your broker and refer to your policy wordings if there are any countries that you think might be of concern.

related articles

general enquiry

Give us a call, send us an email, or use the enquiry form by clicking the button below. You take the first step, and we’ll take care of the rest.

We'd love to hear from you.

Need to get in touch with the team? Please fill out the form and our team will get in touch shortly.